Sunday, September 20, 2009

Can you Believe this September Weather

This has been the greatest fall I can remember in a long time. The days have been between 25 and 34 and often there has been no wind. If I had any idea the fall would be so great I would have taken better care of all my potted plants and fertilized them more, watered them more. and dead-headed more as well, but with the cool summer, by the middle of August I kind of gave up on them and figured they would be frozen soon any way.... Well we always say Saskatchewan is "next year" country.

Many afternoons, I take my book and chair down to the lake and enjoy the quiet of the place, with only the occasional sound of a fish jumping up to catch a low flying bug and the ripple of the water as it disappears as quickly as it appeared. The trees are beginning to turn but 3/4 are still a beautiful green. The geese have returned to the lake from the north to feed and rest before their trek to the far south. With such hot weather, how do they know it is time to pack up and head out? Many mornings they wake me at dawn with their squawking as they take their last little swim before heading to the harvested fields to pick up the grain that the combines have missed.

Can there be any better time of year to be at the lake? The summer cottagers have cleaned up their abodes, locked up their windows and doors and headed home again. Only a few of us remain to wait for the winds and snow of winter to set in. It is so quiet and peaceful. I asked "Is there any better season than this?" Of course, when all reverses and the geese return with the summer residents and the place becomes alive once more. How wonderful we live in a place of four very different distinct seasons. I can not imagine living elsewhere.
A Fall Day at Grandpa Lake ( the other one is Grandpa Farm)














Holding hands as they cross the road to the beach














Feeding the ducks, leftover stale buns




Last rides of the season

Aiden rode for about 2 hours before he tired out





As the day comes to an end and Mom is soon to arrive, Grandpa holds the rope and walks into the lake so they can paddle boat by themselves. What a good Grandpa!

1 comment:

  1. you are making me green with envy! Have I told you how much I love the lake?...what a fun September for you and your family. It was so good to see you the other day....
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete